CBRE - Airbus UK Filton
Up to the winter of 2016/17 Airbus had been using their own maintenance staff to provide a reactive gritting and snow clearing service to meet their H&S obligations for an 80,000 square meter site in Filton near Bristol.
Airbus had a number of issues surrounding how they were delivering the service.
- Staff were using free web forecasts to predict the weather for the next day. With no accurate details or data for road surface temperatures, rainfall and hour by hour forecasts.
- No winter risk management there was an increasing likelihood of a claim against their own insurance.
- Carrying out these extra gritting/snow clearing duties drew staff away from their normal duties. This also put staff behind schedule for ground maintenance, litter picking and cleaning duties.
- Staff overtime costs rose during cold weather periods.
- No modern equipment, with constant breakdowns and problems carrying out the service.
Nurture were approached by CBRE - Airbus and invited to provide an improvement to their current winter maintenance solution for their vast and highly complex site.
- Site specific forecasting systems were put in place to provide the ability to proactively service the site during inclement weather conditions, including a detailed hour by hour site specific forecast.
- We conducted pre-winter site visits by management and operators in order to map and learn the site, therefore adhering to all onsite H&S obligations and restrictions.
- CBRE & Airbus management received daily weather alerts for gritting, along with the ability to cancel consecutive visits if there was already salt on site.
- New and more efficient equipment was attributed to the site, reducing breakdowns and on site issues.
- A reduced amount of gritting completed by their own staff. Thus improving their other on site services and removing overtime costs in the winter months.
- An overall reduction in the number of service visits with highly accurate forecasts enabled a reduction in the overall cost of the service.
- Much improved service levels allowed for reduced complaints and issues on site, saving staff time and improving morale and work efficiency.
- The implementation of a high level of service with open communication to the Nurture Operating & Account Management team ensured Airbus peace of mind throughout the gritting season.